Focusing on Your Family
It’s never too early to focus on your children’s eye health and vision. Their sense of sight is important at every age and every stage of development.
Not to worry if your child is nervous about their eye exam. Our optometrists are experienced with children and can put them at ease. Many kids even think their eye exams are fun! And, if your child does need glasses, we offer a wide selection of colours and styles that will make them smile.
Book their appointment today to set them up for success—and a lifetime of healthy vision.Book Appointment
When Do Children Need Eye Exams?
The Canadian Association of Optometrists recommends that children have exams at the following intervals:
- A comprehensive exam to establish a baseline between the ages of 6 and 9 months
- Another comprehensive exam as they grow and develop between the ages of 2 and 5
- Annual, comprehensive exams from age 6 and continuing until adulthood
Proper vision is essential for children’s success—in life and in academics. Beyond just seeing what’s in front of them at school, visual skills are needed for social, cognitive, and motor skill development.
Book their eye exam today!Book Appointment
Valuable Visual Skills
Children aren’t born with the visual skills they need—they develop them over time, just like they develop the ability to walk and talk.
Good visual skills are essential to learning. Approximately 80% of what children learn happens through their vision. Whether it’s reading, interacting with other kids, throwing a ball around outside, or seeing what the teacher writes on the board, eyesight is involved.
If you want to set them up for success, it’s essential that visual skills develop normally. Children who start school with undiagnosed vision problems may struggle to keep up in class. They may be misdiagnosed with ADHD or another behavioural disorder.
Undiagnosed vision problems can also lead to:
- Learning at a slower rate than their peers
- Behavioural and disciplinary problems
- Higher risk of dropping out of school
Stages of Sight
There are many milestones in a baby’s visual progression. Here’s what to expect at some important stages:
- Birth to 1 Month: Your baby should be staring at bright lights or faces, albeit for a short period.
- 1 to 3 Months: They’ll begin to look toward sounds and follow objects horizontally.
- 3 to 5 Months: Babies begin to reach for objects and see differences between colours.
- 5 to 7 Months: Hand-eye coordination will begin to develop, and your baby should start looking at distant objects.
- 7 to 12 Months: Depth perception, focusing, and other visual skills should be developed, and your baby might begin to copy facial expressions they see.
As children get older, you can help encourage their healthy visual development by playing look-and-find games like Where’s Waldo, doing word searches and maze games together, and limiting their screen time.
To ensure your child is developing visual skills at the appropriate pace, be sure to bring them in for comprehensive eye exams.
How Do I Know If My Child Needs Glasses?
If they are experiencing a vision issue, children are often unable to articulate the problem—they might not even know there is a problem. Unlike adults, children have not established a baseline of what proper vision looks like for them.
Bringing your child for regular eye exams can help establish that baseline. We can help detect any vision problems early on. Book their appointment today!Book Appointment
Visit Our Location
Lowy & Sewell Eye Care is located in the mall on the corner of Steeles Ave W and Dufferin St, on the east side, next to Max’s Restaurant. Free parking is available in the large lot steps from our front door.
- 1520 Steeles Avenue W, Unit 119
- Concord, ON L4K 3B9
- Phone: 905-738-6680
- Email: [email protected]
Hours of Operation
- Monday: 9:00 AM – 6:00 PM
- Tuesday: 9:00 AM – 6:00 PM
- Wednesday: 10:30 AM – 7:00 PM
- Thursday: 9:00 AM – 6:00 PM
- Friday: 8:00 AM – 4:00 PM
- Saturday: 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM
- Sunday: Closed
When it’s time to update your eyewear, stop by Lowy & Sewell Eye Care to browse our brands. Our friendly staff can help you find lenses customized to your daily needs and frames to bring a little fun and flair to your look.
We want to help your eyes look and feel their best. So whether you want to go bold or minimalistic—we have styles for you and your family.